Ok. What are we doing here, you and me? I'm writing stuff, and you are reading it.
In my mind I see all the web pages glowing in front of people, all of the pages possible to pull up. Phosphorescent slates of digital symbols branding the brain. In a very real way it becomes a part of us (or, some might say that by viewing we are bringing our awareness to that part of who we are, being that we are one. whatever). Google claims over three billion web pages in it's engine. World population estimate at the time of this writing: 6,393,577,323. crazy. I don't have much of a concept for what a billion means. It boggles me. So this page is one of more than three billion available to be viewed by the more than six billion people of the Earth. So the odds of you sitting here, pulling up this page, and actually reading this are staggering. Hi. thanks for stopping in.
Now, this brings me to the question: What the hell am I doing this for? Well, i would like to think that I'm writing for you, to offer some perspective or meme that might foster a direct experience of our undeniable interconnectedness. I know that I write to expectorate perspectives and memes that I find usefull or entertaining, in order to make room for fresh ones. I don't see either of the motivations being mutually exclusive, fortunately.
This serves to illustrate a point I want to make. Who hasn't heard the word that we inhabit a planet? Is there anyone here that still thinks that it's prudent to make choices based on an US vs. THEM territorial premise when the totality of the species, and all related, has been seen from space? The borders are ink on paper. The thoughts and beliefs are mental lines that define the extent of what aspects one will accept from the obvious reality of totality; subject to revision at any point the operator chooses.
Whoa... I'm getting dizzy. Running a spherical argument, hoping that the gravity of it keeps me grounded.
So, we have these cognitive pedants dominating the palate of the American media diet, and our critical faculties are starting to resemble the bodies of kids raised on McDonalds. We can't continue to take in this much fat, information pap, and expect to be mentallly healthy enough to process our world in a healthy way. We can argue points of difference between the personalities of the polentertainers to amuse ourselves or impress our friends, but in doing so we endorse the premise that these power junkies are worthy of our attention in the first place.
In the yard of the old school
the crowd gathers around the two with something to prove
and waits for the blood.
The bellowing and posturing of the ape men facinate the people
to the point that their awareness of the rest of the world is all but missing.
Outside this fevered ring:
a circus with silent clowns and and a freak show unseen.
.
I suppose I consider myself fortunate enough to be surrounded by people that are more relevant to me than this cock fight distraction. I know very few people that still talk in this crusty bi-polar rhetoric that seems to be so popular with the politistars. Nobody in my world talks to me like those dudes on tv. Dichotomous, pedantic, neurotically repetitive tripe dumped into the collective through our individual subscription to the drama. The time we spend masticating the prescribed madness robs our lives of more healthy input. To play the part of consumer to the mainstream media market is to be branded with base premise after base premise. The cost includes sacrificing true communication in the family, and community at large. Our viewing pleasure compromises our relation with the environment outside our own doors, healthy sex, and our destiny as humans.
Becoming aware of addictive behaviours in my own personality has shown me the power of habit, the seduction of compulsion, and the will destroying cause of choosing to do what you know is not healthy. From my experience: quitting the addiction isn't hard, it's making and implementing the choice to quit that gives us the fit. Then the fun part: choosing the new addiction.
I haven't owned a tv in six years. When I did own and watch tv, I hardly knew anyone that didn't. Now, I'm hard pressed to think of people that I know that do. The former group seemed heavily invested in (massivly funded and skillfully marketed) consensus culture. The latter seem far more active in (an inherent and necessary)local community culture. I have found one to be more relevent, vibrant, fulfilled, and interesting. Inspiring.
No comments:
Post a Comment